Wednesday, November 30, 2011

ITAP...looking at Potash Mountain from my family's property in Lake Luzerne, NY...

I Took A Picture looking at Potash Mountain.  I was standing in what we call "the meadow" on my grandfather's property in Lake Luzerne, N.Y. This will be the first of many posts of this beautiful place, so I will take time to tell you about it.

I grew up spending most summers here^ in the Adirondacks.  It is and always will be my favorite place on the planet.  My grandfather, Wally, built a one-room cabin on the 17 acre property about 30 years ago and started calling it "Wally World." There is a small stream that runs through which connects to the Hudson River. In the picture the stream is located just at the base of those two giant evergreens.  It is surrounded by woods with a main path that opens up to the big beautiful meadow with a breathtaking view of Potash Mountain.



Also in the meadow is a tiki bar equipped with a small TV, refrigerator,  bar stools, as well as happy hour and various beer signs.  Just off to the right of the tiki bar is an outhouse we built last summer complete with the half moon symbol carved out of the door.  Looking out of the tiki bar you can see a view of the mountain, the troublesome hand-cranked water well, and keep score of the horse-shoe game going on along the stream.



In the middle of the meadow is a large gazebo with a dining set, a couple rocking chairs, and yet another small TV. This is where the barbecues take place before moving into the tiki bar.

My whole life my brother and sister and I were privileged (some might call it subtlety spoiled) enough to have go-karts, quads, and snowmobiles to ride around the meadow for hours on end. I am extremely lucky and grateful to have had  parents and grandparents able to provide us with sophisticated, "grown-up" toys such as these. We had so much fun just riding around in circles, they would have to drag us inside when it got too dark.



Things have changed over the years. The cabin is now bigger with two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and a dining area off of the living room.  My parents have a 45' permanent trailer on the property, and my grandfather retired up there and built a brand new house.

Whenever I have a few days off from life, I love to get up there and relax.  It is such a peaceful, serene retreat where there is no cell phone service and no internet connection.  I believe that everyone needs a place like this where they can get away from the daily stresses of life. To live only in the present time, and remember what's important in life.   It's where I am in my purest form, and where my entire being is at peace.

That place is Wally World in Lake Luzerne, N.Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment