Tuesday, November 15, 2011

ITAP...of my favorite view in the town where I live...

I took a picture of my favorite view in my small hometown of Salisbury Mills, NY.  Believe it or not, this picture was actually taken on October 30th.  Yes, one day before Halloween! As a shock to many, our first snowfall came in the middle of autumn this year. 

Now, I didn't mind because I love the snow but it left many of my peers snowed in and upset about missing all the weekend Halloween parties, not to mention losing power and cell service.  It was a very wet and heavy snow which weighed down the electrical wires and eventually broke many of them.  My house lost power for about five days.  It's quite amusing to me when this happens.  With all the electronic technology in today's time, people just don't know what to do with themselves when the power actually goes out!  What made this time even funnier was that even the cell phone towers were down! Now just imagine the distress of all these usually "connected" people.  We are all so used to being in constant contact with other people, its sad really. My sister is one of those people who ALWAYS have their iPhone in hand and constantly rely on the TV or computer to occupy her time.  She had no idea what to do with herself.  I witnessed her almost go crazy without her electronics. 

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed this time.  I finally got to read! I read two books by candle light.  I always have a hard time reading during the school semester because I feel guilty reading for my pleasure rather than reading my textbooks for school.  It was a great time to slow down, disconnect, and have some nice quiet time alone and with my family! 

So next time this happens, please try to enjoy it.  Read a book. Talk with your family. Reflect on your thoughts. Don't Panic!!!

Anyways, back to the picture.  This picture is taken from my favorite area in my town.  It is the Metro North train track going over Moodna Viaduct from Orrs Mills Road in Cornwall, NY. Better know to locals as the Salisbury Mills Trestle. 

It is located at the base of Schunemunk Mountain. I grew up hiking the trails of Schunemunk. There are 22 miles of trails through the small mountain range.  At the top of the mountain there is another BEAUTIFUL view of the trestle below and the adjacent towns and villages.  Perhaps later in the blog I will provide a picture from the top.

This is the town I live in.  While many of my peers think it is boring and want to leave, I could stay here forever.  It's a motto of mine that "only boring people get bored."  I make the best of my time here and enjoy the beauty of nature right in my backyard!

My small community is called Beaver Dam Lake.  This is a picture of the lake a couple days after the storm. My family, friends and I get a lot of use out of it. We kayak in the summer and party on the ice with snowmobiles and quads in the winter.



1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is Therese (itookapicture.blogspot.com). I just now saw your comment (things have been busy!!!) from November, so thought I'd check out your blog. I LOVE this picture...so beautiful!!! I need to update my blog soon! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete